4L60E Level 5 Extreme Raptor
We have many reports of the Level 5 Extreme Raptor transmission holding over 1000 horse power.
Every man has dreamed of it, thought about it, and even vision himself doing it. The build all of all build all’s. The time in your life when the kids are gone, wife is set up in her house like she wants, and you have some extra cash. It’s time to build your dream car, and today we are designing a gear head’s dream transmission. The transmission we always dreamed about, the transmission with the best of the best. The transmission you know nobody has ever developed before. On this date 03-29-12 nobody in the world has the transmission parts available to build this but us. With the release of the new Smart Tech Input Drum we are proud to present this new development to you.
“When designing this transmission we were given the Carte Blanche by Turbo Don our Owner and Founder, we were told we did not have any budget guidelines but it has to handle 800 hp reliably. We are living vicariously through somebody else’s checkbook. Is there a better job?” – PATC Development Team.
Available now the level 5 Extreme Raptor Transmission, the worlds fastest strongest 700R4 / 4L60E transmissions – Stronger because it has the “Smart Tech Input Drum” – This drum is able to use 9 Red Eagle clutches and 8 full thickness Kolene steels with a special ZERO-FLEX backing plate – This was never possible before – Faster because it has our PATC “Power Gear” planetary – This planet gear has the correct gear ratios so you don’t get the usual RPM / power drop-off between first and second gears – This gearing will lower your quarter mile time by 3/10 to 5/10 of a second – “Thirty years in the making, these where the last two parts needed to make the 700R4 / 4L60E truly awesome transmissions” – This transmission is able to handle extreme horse power, higher than any other 700R4 / 4L60E transmission ever built before.
This transmission has broken all the rules and all the records. After 30 years of research, development, and destruction the COMPLETE solution has arrived for the 700R4 / 4L60E platform. We have 14 major design changes that have been performed on this transmission. We have always wanted a 700R4 / 4L60E that could handle insane power reliably. It has arrived Ladies and Gentlemen.
Our 1st area we wanted to address is the gear ratios in this platform. From the factory we are faced with a 3.06 1st gear ratio and a 1.63 2nd. When the 700R4 was 1st designed the V8’s were packing a measly 180hp from the factory, so when combined with a 4,500 lb vehicle the 3.06 1st gear worked great. Fast forward to today when a 500hp daily driven street car is the norm and you soon realize that you blow through 1st gear rather quickly and just blow the tires off. Then you hit 2nd gear and you see this large RPM drop and high horsepower vehicles are at a lower part of the engine efficiency. This is exaggerated even more with the addition of larger camshafts with tighter lobe separation angles and you soon find yourself trying to shift later out of 1st so your drop isn’t as low coming into 2nd where you have very little port velocity. So we are faced with a 1st gear that is useless and a 2nd gear that initially lugs our engine. We were sick of this and said we will not let this be an issue in our dream transmission. We changed the gear ratio on this transmission from the factory 3.06 1st gear to a 2.84 1st gear. We took 2nd gear and changed it to 1.57 vs. a stock 1.63. We achieved this with our 6 pinion front planet. This is the 1st time we have ever offered this planet set in a transmission.
We then moved to the rear planet replacing the pathetic 4 pinion factory style planet with our NEW rear 5 pinion planet. These planets have 25% more load carrying ability. Keep in mind GM felt the need to turn to this planet in 2002 with the y-body and made it standard on all LQ9 equipped trucks. These vehicles only came with 345hp and 385 ft lbs of torque with loads of torque management programmed in from the factory. You can imagine the added production cost involved in adding these. Bottom line we did the right thing here yet again.
Ahhh, the infamous 3-4 clutch. This has been a headache on this platform for too many years. We have many arguments, debates, and even fights over this clutch pack. We have seen clutch solutions from mild to wild, while nobody really looked at the real issue, deflection in the drum. How many of us have air checked our input drum at 60-100 psi and seen the bending and flexing of the plate and snap ring? This deflection can and will lead to coning within the 3/4 clutch pack which always cause premature failure. This was most apparent within the industry when General Motors modified the clutch pack in 2006. When the LS2 platform was released in the Trailblazer SS GM added another clutch to the set-up to try to end all of there woes. While adding another clutch to the 4L70E did help improve the life, the problem didn’t go away. At this point in development GM already had the 6 speed 6L80 sitting in the y-body that year and further development ceased. This is where we picked up. We knew that our last obstacle was making the 3/4 clutch survive for more than half a race season. Fast forward to today and we are proud to present the last piece of the puzzle. With the new Smart Tech drum we were able to finally solve the issue with deflection with in the 3-4 clutch pack. This allowed us to not only get radical with our pressure apply rates (no coning) but it also allowed us to no longer worry about the end of the drum blowing out under extreme conditions. This gives us the ability to have tremendous clamping load within the drum. We were also able to achieve more clearance with the new design pushing our clutch count to an astounding 9 Red Eagle full thickness double sided clutches and 8 FULL THICKNESS Kolene coated heat treat steels. End result, is a drum that can withstand tremendous apply force, incredible clamping load, additional clutches and absolutely no deflection in the 3/4 clutch pack. If we had the option this drum would go in every single transmission we build here, but at $500 a pop, it is only an additional option on our level 2, 3 and 4 700R4 / 4L60E transmissions. Bottom line, this is the end all of all end alls for our 3-4 clutch pack woes.
Every single component of this transmission has been over engineered. This transmission is ready for anything you could possibly throw at it. Whether it’s your supercharged H2 Hummer with oversized tires or your twin turbo’d C5 Corvette. There’s NO OTHER transmission on earth built to this magnitude. Our level 5 Extreme Raptor has left no stone unturned and no expense spared. “Thirty years in the making, these where the last two parts needed to make the 700R4 / 4L60E truly an awesome transmission” (#2 & #3 below). Lets take a look at our build in detail.
We have many reports of the Level 5 Extreme Raptor transmission holding 1500 horse power.
1. We start with ripping out the factory 4 pinion rear planet and replacing it with a modified (to improve oil flow) 5 pinion planetary. 4L60E Extreme Duty rear planet with 5 pinion gears. This planet gear is twenty years past due, this has always been a weak point on the 700R4 transmissions. These 5 pinion 2002 type gears are at least 25% stronger than the old type. The use of five pinion gears for the input and reaction gear sets spreads the torque load so that less of the load is held by any one gear. This five pinion reaction carrier was designed for the increased torque load of the 6.0L version of the Gen III V-8, as well as Corvette’s LS6 engine. The 5 pinion gears are a great feature.
2. The next major improvement we perform moves us to the PATC 6 pinion front planet gear that controls first and second gear ratios. In High horsepower applications the factory 3.06 1st gear ratio gives a less than desired RPM from 1st to 2nd. If you have a larger cam with a lot of duration on a tight LSA (Lobe Separation Angle) then your recovery when engaging 2nd gear puts you at an undesirable rpm that doesn’t make a decent amount of port velocity, giving a slight lull upon apply. This also holds true with turbo chargers and centrifugal superchargers. The flip side to this is that the 3.06 1st gear is over and done with so quickly that it is practically a wasted gear. We have corrected both the 1st and 2nd gear ratios by changing them to 2.84 1st gear and a 1.57 second gear. This gives you less RPM drop between the first 3 gears improving E.T. times as much as .4 tenths as tested and confirmed by Champion Motors in Canada. This close ratio 700R4 gear set will have a 11.72% less RPM drop between 1st and 2nd than the wide (stock) ratio gear set. In other words the close ratio gear set will only have 88.28% as much RPM drop as the wide ratio gear set. This is what people have been asking for, for years. These will work on any 4L60E / 700r4 type transmission without a gear ratio error code, if the PCM is modified. The sun gear is made from 4340 billet steel and the pinion gears are 4130 steel. This gear set is used to reduce torque multiplication / rotating speed in the transmission in first gear. This improves track applications that overpower the rear tires upon launch. This is common with numerically high final drive ratios. Now you will have a choice between the wide ratio or the new close ratio gear sets. This planet gear has the correct gear ratios so you don’t get the usual RPM / power drop-off between first and second gears.
3. The 3-4 clutch failing has long been the big issue with these transmissions. The issue has always been deflection of the 3-4 backing plate that occurs during high pressure apply (see video below of the Smart Tech Input Drum). This was caused by flexing in the backing plate and snap ring. Flexing / Bowing of OE and other aftermarket backing plates is eliminated with this heavy duty bolt-on backing plate. This unique design ensures even clamping of the 3-4 clutches in higher horsepower, higher pressure applications. By eliminating the 3-4 snap ring and using a stiffer backing plate, space is made available for one additional friction and steel. This makes it possible to simultaneously increase the clutch torque capacity and eliminate the possibility of retaining ring blow-out. A steel reinforcement sleeve prevents breakage in the spline area. Housing fatigue failure resistance and housing life are significantly improved with a special treatment process that reduces stress crack formation. “Thirty years in the making, these where the last two parts needed to make the 700R4 / 4L60E truly an awesome transmission” (#2 & #3).
4. This is the answer to every shaft concern you have ever had. During our testing when developing our 300 Maraging steel (Vascomax) shaft we found that even heat treated shafts and conventional 300M shafts would twist and deflect. This twisting would cause the fluid passages within the shaft to become out of round, leading to fluid issues within the transmission. Our 300 Maraging steel shafts differ from conventional 300M shafts in that they are a high nickel alloy, virtually Carbon frtransgoee, Have a much higher yield point (294,000 lbs vs 243,000 lbs per square inch), and are age hardened. This makes this this shaft incredibly stable, when age hardening process is performed on this shaft shrinkage is less than .001. Other manufactures typically opt to use 300m material due to the fact that 300 Maraging steel is typically 3-4 times more expensive in raw material and requires more expensive tooling to work with this harder material. We have designed these shafts with no TCC check balls (No capsule ball assembly). The removal of these TCC check balls will result in a firmer torque converter lock-up. This also allows the Lock-up clutch to apply at a much faster rate due to there being no restriction for exhaust of the oil. When you look closely at the check ball you will notice there is a small hole that allows the oil to pass at a certain rate. In testing these shafts the splines and shaft held to an amazing 1800 ft. lbs of torque before the spline eventually gave way. We highly recommend these shafts for use in vehicles with high horsepower and frequent drag racing. This Shaft is also recommended for vehicles towing heavy loads or Trucks with oversized tires.
5. The Sonnax Smart Shell 77749-02K is a heavy duty reaction shell kit with revised thrust loads. Stripped or cracked shells are a problem in 4L60/E units, however an equally common problem is a failed rear planet captured bearing. The Smart Shell is the only heavy duty shell to address both issues. The Smart Shell is made of thicker material and the hub area is strengthened further with a steel collar that is precision welded to the shell. The splines are heat treated with a tested process to ensure strength and longevity. The lugs that engage the reverse drum are heat treated as well to avoid flaring. By replacing the black plastic washer with a thrust bearing and controlling the height of the modified OE race, the Smart Shell reroutes thrust loads away from the captive rear planet bearing and sun gear. The rerouted end play / thrust loads pass through the new thrust bearing and modified roller clutch race directly to the rear planet carrier, completely bypassing the vulnerable captive rear planet bearing. See details below. Smart Shell Features. Reinforced shell withstands torque load at the hub. Large bearing supports shell to withstand thrust load. Thrust load passes directly to the carrier from the shell through the large bearing and race, bypassing the small captured rear planetary bearing. In addition to torque load damage, thrust load flexes and breaks shell at the hub bend. Thrust load passes from shell through the sun gear, then overloads the small captured rear planetary bearing.
6. Remanufactured high performance transmission pump assembly. We blue print this pump and Dyno test each one upon assembly. We install the upgraded billet 13 vane billet pump rotor and slide. We also add our larger .500 oversized boost valve along with several other proprietary modifications such as our high output pump slide spring that keeps transmission fluid pressure steady at RPM’s in excess of 7,500 rpm’s.
7. “MegaRaptor-2L” This is our 10 1/2 inch Billet Converter with a Billet Clutch Apply Piston that will not flex. It has a very large carbon clutch with 40+ square inches of clutch lining. The torque multiplication rates can be ordered in 2 to 1, 2.5 to 1 or 3 to 1. The torque multiplication of this converter will deliver an increase of up to 50 horse power to the rear wheels. The MegaRaptor-2L with its carbon fiber clutch will withstand power levels of 1000 horse power. This 10 1/2 inch converter can be ordered with stall speeds of 2000 to 5500 RPM.
9. Pinless forward accumulator piston. In 4L60-E units it is common for the plastic forward accumulator piston to wear or crack. This causes a fluid loss resulting is delayed engagement, slips, burned clutches and/or band. Repeated reciprocation of the accumulator piston causes the piston pin bore to wear. Fluid loss through the piston pin bore or cracks causes forward clutch to slip. The stock accumulator piston can develop a large pressure leak at the pin area over a period of 50 to 100 thousand miles.
10. 4L60E Heavy Duty 2-3 Shift Valve. Sonnax has developed a drop-in replacement 2-3 shift valve that applies the overrun clutch in D3, 1st , 2nd and 3rd gears where the factory valve applies the overrun clutch only in D3, 3rd gear. Applying the overrun clutch in 1st and 2nd provides added durability to the input sprag and forward clutch in heavy duty vehicles, plow trucks and high performance applications. In addition, this Sonnax valve allows full downshift engine braking in 1st, 2nd and 3rd while the shifter remains in the D3 position. This upgrade would work well with applications using aftermarket electronic “paddle” shifters
12. 4L60E high output pump slide spring. When engine speeds exceed 5800 RPM, the centrifugal force on the pump vanes acts to center the pump slide and reduce the pump volume. In high performance applications, it is critical to maintain maximum pump volume in order to hold line pressure and avoid 3-4 clutch failure. This high output single spring is stiffer than the dual OEM springs and is able to hold the pump slide in a maximum volume position despite the high engine RPM.
13. Stop burning apply bands with this 4L60E high performance intermediate billet servo. This Superior / Fairbanks servo has 35% more holding power (fluid apply area) than the Corvette servo found on other brands. It’ll give a firmer 1-2 and 2-3 shift. It also fits 4L65E / 700R4 transmissions.
Add Pan and Output Shaft upgrades if needed. We recommend our #MR-2 or #MR-2L billet torque converters for this transmission.
Complete Transmission Sales 1-888-201-2066
|4L60E Transmissions||Level 1 – “Stock Plus” Corvette Servo||Level 2 – 700-E Raptor Junior||Level 3 – 700-E Raptor||Level 4 – 700-E Mega Raptor||Level 5 – 4L60E Extreme Raptor|
|Torque Converter||Stock||#1, #2 or #2L||#2 or #2L||#MR-2 or #MR-2L||#MR-2 or #MR-2L|
|Free Cooler, Deep Chrome Pan or Shirt||No||Choice of One||Choice of One||Choice of One||Choice of One|
|Stall Speeds||1600, 1800, 2000||1700, 2000, 2500||1200, 1400, 1600, 1800, 2000, 2300, 2600, 2800||2000 to 5500||2000 to 5500|
|Raptor Drive Package, recommended for over 450 torque.||No||Add $428||Add $428||Yes||Smart Tech Input Drum with Billet Shaft, holds 9 clutches|
|Band||Stock||Alto Carbon Fiber with Thicker Hardened Anchors||Alto Carbon Fiber with Thicker Hardened Anchors||Alto Carbon Fiber with Thicker Hardened Anchors||Alto Wide Carbon Fiber with Thicker Hardened Anchors + Bearing on the Band Drum|
|Clutches||Alto Brown 1993-1996, 1997 up High Energy||Alto Brown 1993-1996, 1997 up High Energy||3 – 4 Clutch, 8 Red Eagle clutches with full thickness Kolene steels||3 – 4 Clutch, 8 Red Eagle clutches with full thickness Kolene steels||3 – 4 Clutch, 9 Red Eagle clutches with full thickness Kolene steels|
|3 – 4 Clutch Upgrade||Replace 6 brown with 8 Red Eagle clutches and Kolene steels in the 3-4 clutch drum for only $69.00||Replace 6 brown with 8 Red Eagle clutches and Kolene steels in the 3-4 clutch drum for only $69.00||——||——||——|
|Servos||Corvette||35% and 50% Oversize||35% and 50% Oversize||35% and 50% Oversize||35% and 50% Oversize|
|Raptor Drive Package||No||Add $428.00||Add $428.00||Included on all Types||Smart Tech Input Drum with Billet Input Shaft, Smart Shell, 9 Red Clutches|
|Torque Master Package, recommended for over 450 torque.||No||Yes||Yes||No||No|
|5 Pinion Planet Gears||No||No||No||Yes||Yes + PATC “Power Gear” with 6 Pinions and 2.84 First Gear Ratio|
|Oversize Pressure Valve||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|13 Vane Pump on Request||10 or 13||10 or 13||10 or 13||10 or 13||10 or 13|
|Billet Steel Pump Rotor||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Beast Reaction Shell||No||Yes||Yes||Raptor Drive Smart Shell||Smart Shell|
|Transgo performance valve body plate if needed.||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|#37 Performance 1-2 Accumulator Spring||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|#38 Performance Pump Slide Spring||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|#41 Servo Valve||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|#19B Extra Wide Sun Gear Bushing||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|#19CB Extra Wide Rear Stator Support Bushing||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|29 Element Borg Watner Forward Sprag||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Code 1870 Fix Valve||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Comments||– – – –||Tow up to 4000 pounds in overdrive.||Tow up to 6000 pounds in overdrive.||– – – –||– – – –|
|Price||93-95 $1680.00, 96 Up non-LS1 $1795.00, 97 Up LS1 Type $1945.00||93-95 $2199.00, 96 Up non-LS1 $2299.00, 97 Up LS1 Type $2449.00||93-95 $2579.00, 96 Up non-LS1 $2629.00, 97 Up LS1 Type $2729.00||93-95 $4018.00, 96 Up non-LS1 $4068.00, 97 Up LS1 Type $4168.00||93-95 $5668.00, 96 Up non-LS1 $5718.00, 97 Up LS1 Type $5818.00|
|Quantity Discount||Buy two level 3, 4 or 5 transmissions and converters at the same time and receive $50.00 off on each.|
We have many reports of the Level 5 Extreme Raptor transmission holding over 1000 horse power.
Transmission ratings are for non-supercharged systems using pump gasoline. Superchargers, Turbo Chargers, Nitrous, 4WD, Oversize Tires and Weight will lower these ratings. Transmission Horse Power Rating Torque Rating Notes Level 5 – 4L60E Extreme Raptor 1000+ 800 Comes with Smart Tech Input Drum, Billet Input Shaft, Smart Shell, PATC Power Gear Level 4 – 700-E Mega Raptor 700 700 Comes with 5 Pinion OEM Planets, Torque Master option, Raptor Drive option Level 3 – 700-E Raptor 600 450 / 600 with Raptor Drive package Add torque converter and Raptor Drive upgrades if needed. Level 2 – 700-E Raptor Junior 500 400 / 500 with Raptor Drive package Add torque converter and Raptor Drive upgrades if needed. Level 1 – Stock +, 4L60E 350 300 Add torque converter upgrade if needed.